We are very proud to announce the results of the first Paper Contest for Judges organized by the IUCN Commission on Environmental Law’s Judiciary Specialist Group.
Judges from all over the world were invited to write about the access and enforcement of Environmental Justice, in order to promote and disseminate the study and research of environmental law.
The papers were divided into three language groups: one for papers in Spanish/Portuguese, a second one for papers written in French, and a third for papers written in English. There were slots available for a paper of each language group to obtain all prize categories. Unfortunately, no English papers were submitted this year. After an exhausting review process conducted by a jury conformed of Dr. Maria Cristina Garros, Dr. Mariana Freitas and Dr. Manuel Castañon for papers written in Spanish/Portuguese, and Dr. Luc Lavrysen, Dr. Amedeo Postiglione and Dr. Mariana Freitas for papers written in French, the results of the contest were the following:
- Zenildo Bodnar - Brazil
- Somkinda Traore - Burkina Faso
- Fabiana Ines Martinelli - Argentina
- Elysée Rasoahanta - Madagascar
The awards consist of:
- For the papers which obtain first place, the opportunity to participate in the World Conservation Congress in Barcelona. CEL will be covering the airfare, accommodation costs for two days, and the registration fees for the Congress.
- For the papers which obtain second place, CEL will cover the registration fees for the Congress. They will also receive publications of the IUCN Environmental Law Programme collection.
This Paper Contest for Judges has had very successful results. We thank the jury for their collaboration and the participants for their dedication. We would also like to thank Dr. Vladimir Passos de Freitas, Co-chair of the Judiciary Specialist Group of CEL, who coordinated this initiative. We hope to have the same success next year.
Chair of CEL