In November 2008 a regional NGO capacity building workshop including a number of components to strengthen NGO participation in FLEG-related policy making and implementation was held in Khao Yai, Thailand. This was followed by a regional NGO meeting to develop a regional NGO strategy and related joint activities, held in Bangkok in April 2009.
Participants at the April 2009 meeting identified the absence of a formal structure to coordinate collaboration between NGOs as a major challenge underlying difficulties collaborating to address a number of other governance and law enforcement weaknesses.
The project responded to this need by providing the opportunity for participants to consider why (multiple) previous commitments to collaborate at the regional level have been difficult to follow through on, and agree on what is needed (beyond a basic “network”) to maximize the contribution that NGOs can make to strengthening FLEG. A participatory planning process leading to the development of a concept for a regional FLEG NGO coordinating body with a number of functions related to facilitating more effective access to and use of information by NGOs, for multiple purposes including advocacy and monitoring, resulted from the project.
This project was funded by the IUCN National Committee of the Netherlands Ecosystems Grants Programme (EGP). Implementation began June 1, 2008 and ended June 31, 2009.
NB: ‘FLEG’ as used in project documentation refers to the broad thematic area of forest law enforcement and governance and does not refer to a specific process unless otherwise specified.The following project documents are available for download:
November 2008 Workshop
- Enhancing Civil Society Participation in FLEG-related Process in Southeast Asia & the Pacific: Summary of Findings from Questionnaires (to be added at the end of the month)
- ASEAN Statement on Strengthening FLEG
- Proposed Work Plan for Strengthening FLEG in ASEAN 2008-2015
- Ecomessage Form (unofficial)
- Example Ecomessage Form (unofficial)
- Enhancing FLEG in Southeast Asia & the Pacific: Regional Capacity Building Workshop for NGOs – Workshop Report (English only)
- Key Messages/Priorities for a Regional FLEG Strategy
April 2009 Meeting
- Enhancing Civil Society Participation in FLEG in Southeast Asia & the Pacific: Common FLEG-related Challenges & Proposed Areas for Regional Collaboration
- Enhancing FLEG in Southeast Asia & the Pacific: Regional NGO Meeting – Meeting Report
- Regional FLEG NGO Coordinating Body in Asia: Draft Concept
Other Translated Documents
- Proposal for a Regulation of the European Parliament and of the Council laying down the obligations of operators who place timber and timber products on the market (Bahasa Indonesia, Khmer & Vietnamese)
- Report on the proposal for a regulation of the European Parliament and of the Council laying down the obligations of operators who place timber and timber products on the market [with proposed amendments](Bahasa Indonesia, Khmer & Vietnamese)
- Proposal for a Regulation of the European Parliament and of the Council laying down the obligations of operators who place timber and timber products on the market with amendments incorporated (Mandarin Chinese)
- FLEG East Asia Ministerial Conference Bali, Indonesia 11-13 September 2001, Ministerial Declaration (Lao)
- A Guide on Sustainable Overseas Silviculture by Chinese Enterprises(Lao)
- First Regional Community Forestry Forum: Regulatory Frameworks for Community Forestry in Asia, Proceedings of a Regional Forum held in Bangkok, Thailand Aug 24-25, 2005(Thai)
- UN Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples (UNDRIP) available for download in multiple languages, including Filipino (Tagalog) & Ilokano on the Tebtebba (Indigenous Peoples' Centre for Policy Research)
For more information about this project please contact:
Head, Land Programme, Asia
IUCN Asia Regional Office
63, Soi Phromphong, Sukhumvit 39
10110 Wattana, Bangkok
Phone: +66 (0)2 6624029 ext. 152
Fax: +66 (0)2 6624387