The biodiversity of flowering plants is astonishingly high. Results from the freshwater, terrestrial and marine species assessments show that there is a significant lack of knowledge, which makes it more complicated to monitor the on-going loss of biodiversity threatening this species. Key recommendations for assuring conservation are:
- Identification of key internationally important sites for biodiversity in the Mediterranean.
- Protection of key species and high biodiversity areas through effective legislation and management tools (i.e. species action plans).
- Obtaining good information relating to species and their habitats through regional research programmes.
- Biodiversity data should be included in any development and management planning.
- Control of invasive species, especially on islands.
- Raising awareness of the general public and politicians through education and communication.