Global Island Partnership (GLISPA) Database Development Intern
20 January 2012 | Jobs - call for proposals
Global Island Partnership (GLISPA) Database Development Intern Location: New York City or remotely
The Global Island Partnership seeks an intern with expertise database development to design, develop, and implement a database to track events, contacts and commitments to conservation. This internship is an excellent way to build a portfolio with organizations engaged in conservation of island biodiversity at the global level as well as practical experience in database development for not for profits. Academic credit may be available subject to the academic institutions approval.
• Recommend appropriate software for database development;
• Design and develop the database for GLISPA events, contacts and conservation commitments including data input and setting up reports;
• Support other related functions as required.
GLISPA interns have opportunities to:
• Attend seminars and conferences sponsored by the UN and related NGOs and related workshops of interest; and
• Work with leading experts and professionals in the fields of environment and sustainable development.
• Expand into working on initiatives/projects Partnership given successful performance.
The successful intern will:
• Possess a degree or be working on a degree or masters in information systems, computer science and/or other relevant area.
• Have experience in database design and development.
• Knowledge of Windows-based database programs.
• Be fluent in English.
• An interest or background in conservation of biodiversity and sustainable livelihoods on islands.
About GLISPA: GLISPA brings together island nations and nations with islands — small and large, developing and developed — to mobilize leadership, increase resources and share skills, knowledge, technologies and innovations in a cost-effective and sustainable way that will catalyze action for conservation and sustainable livelihoods on islands. GLISPA is recognized as a mechanism to implement the Convention on Biodiversity’s Programme of Work on Island Biodiversity and a Commission on Sustainable Development Best Practice Partnership.
To apply: Please email your resume and cover letter in one document to Jessica.email@example.com or phone 202 341 2876.