IUCN/SSC African Elephant Specialist Group
On this page, you will find a wealth of information about the activities of the AfESG as well as a variety of useful downloads and links.
- Explore the African and Asian Elephant Database.
- Learn more about human elephant conflict and the tools available to help mitigate it.
- Explore the African Elephant Bibliography.
- Read Pachyderm, and submit manuscripts for consideration!
- Read about the AfESG's work to provide technical advice to decision-makers at CITES and CMS.
- Read more about our recent study into the elephant meat trade in Central Africa.
- Find out more about the various tools the AfESG has developed to help with translocation, managing locally overabundant elephants, and counting elephants.
- Read official AfESG statements on captive elephants and elephant genetics.
- Many countries have prepared elephant management plans and strategies. These are gathered together for ease of access.
Latest News from IUCN on elephants
Key states along the illegal ivory value chain have committed to urgent measures to halt the illegal trade and secure elephant populations across Africa. The agreement was reached at the African Elephant Summit convened by the government of Botswana and IUCN (International Union for Conservation of Nature). … | Dutch
03 Dec 2013 | News story
As the surge in African elephant poaching and illegal ivory trade continues, the Government of Botswana and IUCN are convening a high-level summit on the African Elephant calling for stronger global action to halt the illegal trade and secure viable elephant populations across Africa. …
10 Oct 2013 | News story
Bangkok, 6 March 2013— Populations of elephants in Africa continue to be under severe threat as the illegal trade in ivory grows - with double the numbers of elephants killed and triple the amounts of ivory seized over the last decade. …
06 Mar 2013 | International news release
The fifth update on the status of the African elephant released today covers 37 range States and includes new or updated information for 194 sites, including 39 new survey areas, mainly in Eastern and Central Africa. …
01 Mar 2013 | News story
Elephant poaching levels are the worst in a decade and recorded ivory seizures are at their highest levels since 1989, according to a report published today by the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES). The findings, largely based on information submitted by governments, will be presented and discussed at the 62nd meeting of the CITES Standing Committee to be held in Geneva from 23 to 27 July 2012. …
22 Jun 2012 | News story
To commemorate 50 issues of the Pachyderm journal, which began in 1983 as the African Elephant and Rhino Group Newsletter, a special 50th issue has been produced by the IUCN SSC African Elephant, African Rhino and Asian Rhino Specialist Groups. …
30 Apr 2012 | News story
Elephant meat in Central Africa has an earning potential that could exceed that of ivory according to a new report by the IUCN SSC African Elephant Specialist Group and the CITES Monitoring the Illegal Killing of Elephants (MIKE) programme. To prevent a future increase in elephant poaching, consumer demand for elephant products must be reduced and law enforcement efforts should be focused on those who commission and fund the elephant hunting parties. …
28 Feb 2012 | News story