Community Participation in Water Resource Management - East Africa
The International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN) with the Pangani River Basin Management Project (PRBMP) partners, and the Wami-Ruvu and Pangani Basin Boards in Tanzania, held a 3 day workshop on sharing experiences around community participation in water resources management in Tanzania and East Africa.
The workshop took place from September 14th to 16th, 2010 in Morogoro, Tanzania. The objectives were to:
1. To share experience and knowledge on community participation in water resources management in Tanzania (and East Africa ) including
- Lessons and challenges on establishment and/or operationalization of Water User Associations (WUAs),
- Sustainability mechanisms of WUAs,
- Relationships and/or interactions of WUAs with other institutions at the local level
2. To develop recommendations (such as guidelines) on how to improve community participation in water resources management in Tanzania (and East Africa). This includes documenting the process, and thinking about ways to communicate.
3. To create a network in Tanzania (and East Africa) to continually share information on community participation and engagement around water user associations.
Results and Outputs
The meeting was attended by about 50 participants drawn from the 9 (nine) Basin Water Offices in Tanzania especially community development officers; representatives from Uganda, Kenya and Ethiopia especially those involved with community participation.
The main outputs of the meeting were:
• Documented discussion of learning and lesson sharing on the formation of water user associations, their operations, sustainability and relationship with other institutions,
• A set of recommendation on how to improve community participation in water resources management including action plans on operationalizing and/or implementation of various processes for the water user association (steps for the establishment, financial/management sustainability, internal/external relationship and emerging issues); and
• A set of ideas on how to continue sharing the information on community participation in water resources management
There was also a field trip to sites areound Morogoro where water user associations are being established.
Below are presentations and resources from the workshop.
|Facilitation and Communication Tips: How to get the Message across about Water Resource Management||Presentation by L. Haule from WWF on using communication approaches in achieving water resource management objectives.||PDF Document 964KB|
|Classic Miscommunication||An example of how messages can get distorted.||PDF Document 232KB|
|Overview of Water Resource Management Act - Tanzania||S. Kamugisha gave a presentation which provided an overview of the Tanzania Water Resource Management Act. This included the different institutions that implement the act and related legislation.||PDF Document 164KB|
|Functions and Responsibilities of Water User Associations - Tanzania||S. Kamugisha also provided details on the roles and responsibilities of Water User Associations in Tanzania.||PDF Document 58KB|
|Status of Catchment Based IWRM in Uganda||Leo Mwebembezi, the Principal Water Officer from the Department of Water Resource Management in the Ministry of Water and Environment provided information on the status of catchment based integrated water resource management in Uganda.||PDF Document 2.28MB|
|Water User Associations in Ethiopia||Sintayehu Mesele from CARE International in Ethiopia gave presentation on water user associations in the Rift Valley and Borana areas of Ethiopia.||PDF Document 12.75MB|
|Basins in Ethiopia||List of the basins in Ethiopia||PDF Document 1.38MB|
|Formation of Water Resource User Associations - Kenya||Daniel G Wanyumu gave a presentation on the process of forming water resource user associations in Kenya.||PDF Document 1.68MB|
|Pangani Basin||PDF Document 3.85MB|
|Wami/Ruvu Basin||PDF Document 8.25MB|
|Internal Drainage Basin||PDF Document 5.19MB|
|Lake Tanganyika||PDF Document 1.26MB|
|Lake Nyasa||PDF Document 511KB|
|Lake Victoria||PDF Document 59KB|
|Ruvuma Basin||PDF Document 16KB|
|Ilonga Water User Association in Kilosa, Wami/Ruvu Basin||PDF Document 99KB|
|Water Resource Management Act - Tanzania||Water Resource Management Act , 2009 - Tanzania||PDF Document 2.98MB|
|Water Resource Management Act (Swahili version) - Tanzania||Imetayarishwa na Bodi ya Maji ya Bonde la Rufiji kwa Kushirikiana na Kitengo cha Huduma za Sheria Wizara ya Maji na Umwagiliaji kwa Ufadhili wa Shirika la World Wide Fund for Nature (WWF) Ofisi ya Tanzania Kupitia Program yake ya Maji ya Mto wa Great Ruaha.||PDF Document 296KB|