A Danish lawyer, the Botswana Head of State and an American primatologist: what’s the link?
All three are behind truly inspirational achievements in the realm of conservation, and they are not alone. These are just three of the eleven distinguished nominees presented for Honorary membership of IUCN, to be approved by the IUCN World Conservation Congress, meeting from 6-15 September in Jeju, Republic of Korea.
The full list of nominees covers a wide spectrum of individuals who have made exceptional contributions to furthering the goals of the Union. Nominated by IUCN Members and Commission members, these eleven individuals truly make up a formidable group of conservation champions:
- Dr Abdulaziz Abuzinada, Saudi Arabia
- Ms Angela Cropper, Trinidad and Tobago
- Dr Aila Keto, Australia
- His Excellency, The State President, Lieutenant General Seretse Khama Ian Khama, Botswana
- Mr Veit Koester, Denmark
- Dr Russell Mittermeier, USA
- Dr Ian Player, South Africa
- Professor Nicholas Robinson, USA
- Dr Marina Silva, Brazil
- Mr Achim Steiner, Germany
- Professor Randolph Robert Thaman, Fiji
Discover more about these inspirational nominees: click here to access their citations and photographs.