CEC member Mohit Mukherjee is the instructor for this seven-week course starting November 1 online.
The University for Peace’s Center for Executive Education launched its first online course, ‘Entrepreneurship, Innovation, and Social Change’ with 18 participants from five continents. The course provides the space and structure for all participants to develop their social enterprise business plan. View the video >>
Several participants applied for the course with an idea already in mind, but previously lacking the support to develop it into a solid business plan. In six short weeks, they had it. In the words of one participant, “I would recommend the course. I like how it flowed and was broken down into manageable pieces of work, week by week. Also, all the pieces were then brought together to build the business plan, so that you have a real platform to continue working from.”
The Centre will be building to this initial course offering and adding other highly relevant, practical, and topical online courses. For more information, please see www.centre.upeace.org
The worlds of 'working for the betterment of society' and 'private enterprise' are often seen as incompatible. This online course will attempt to break-down that perception in order for participants to see the social sector as a place of opportunity, both to 'do good' but also to innovate and build a financially sustainable social enterprise.
The course hopes to inspire participants with an entrepreneurial spirit, help gain an understanding of the challenges of the start-up process, offer space and structure for participants to begin developing their own business plan for a socially beneficial venture, and think about the complexities of growing and managing it.
Dates: 7-week course, starting on November 1st, 2011.
Course Format: The course is an online course, including: videos, lectures, articles and forums for discussions.
Topics: It will cover the following topic areas:
- Understanding the Landscape: Who are Social Entrepreneurs?
- Nonprofit or For-profit?
- Developing a Business Plan: Clarifying Strategy and Structure
- Measuring Impact and Execution
- Managing Growth and Change (Scaling up)
- Sustaining Positive Change
Benefits: By the end of this course, you will have:
- Reflected on your strengths, passions, and how to channel those into an endeavor that is also financially viable
- Developed a ‘social enterprise business plan’ for creating a new organization (or for creating a new project within an existing organization)
- A framework for thinking about different leaders and reflected on your own dominant leadership style