Call for Chair and Members of New CEESP/CEL Specialist Group on Indigenous Peoples, Customary & Environmental Laws & Human Rights (SPICEH)
Indigenous Peoples, Customary & Environmental Laws & Human Rights (SPICEH) The Chairs of CEESP and CEL seek nominations for the position of SPICEH Chair (or two Co-Chairs) as well as new members. Candidates for the Chair(s) should preferably be familiar with both CEESP and CEL, and be committed to working cross-sectorally across different disciplines.
The Chairs of CEESP and CEL seek nominations for the position of SPICEH Chair (or two Co-Chairs) as well as new members. Candidates for the Chair(s) should preferably be familiar with both CEESP and CEL, and be committed to working cross-sectorally across different disciplines.
Nominations should be submitted to Elizabeth Erasito at email@example.com by 30 September 2011, and should include a cover letter and a curriculum vitae. Self-nominations, and nominations of other people, are both permitted, but nominations of others should include a statement as to whether or not the person in question has agreed to serve if appointed. The intention is to appoint the chair of the SPICEH before the end of October 2011.
Expressions of interesting in joining this new Specialist Group as a member can be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org and/or to email@example.com (CEL contact)
The terms of reference of the Chair/Co-Chairs are:
- To provide overall strategic leadership of the joint SPICEH, and to build the network so that it is able to deliver the new strategic direction.
- To develop internal structures of the joint SPICEH as needed in relation to the outputs that need to be delivered, and to oversee their work.
- To develop a work programme for the SPICEH in close collaboration with the Chairs of CEESP and CEL and with relevant Secretariat Programmes (both regional and thematic)
- To ensure close integration with the work of relevant CEESP Themes and CEL Specialist Groups.
- To raise funding for the work of the SPICEH in collaboration with the Chairs of CEESP and CEL, and with relevant IUCN Secretariat Programmes (both regional and thematic).
- To represent CEESP, CEL and, when agreed, the wider IUCN, at key meetings, and to promote the issues of SPICEH both within and beyond IUCN.
- To provide regular reports on the work of the SPICEH to the Chairs of CEESP and CEL.
- To recommend to the Chairs of CEESP and CEL options for a longer term joint Commission SPICEH structure.
While developing the full work programme of SPICEH will be the responsibility of the appointed Chair(s), the following tasks will form the initial work of the SG.
(a) implementing relevant elements of the post- Whakatane mechanism
(b) monitoring and reporting on the implementation of relevant WCC resolutions
(c) collaborating with key CEESP Themes to profile and progress SPICEH issues.
(d) collaborating with key CEL Specialist Groups and initiatives, particularly the CEL Ethics Specialist Group and the Judicial portal, to profile and progress SPICEH issues.
Aroha Mead, Chair of CEESP
Sheila Abed, Chair of CEL