Congratulations! Winners of Powered by Nature award announced
IUCN Commission on Education and Communication and Alcoa Foundation announced the winners of the Powered by Nature award. Communications students across Europe were invited to submit ideas to co-create a social media campaign to shape the future of energy.
“If we’ve learned one thing about the future of energy, it’s that it is diverse. Applications ranged from campaigns for energy-efficient farming to campaigns to make sustainability cool. We saw the entire range of social media tools used – mobile apps, video storytelling, Twitter and others.” Wiebke Herding, the project’s coordinator, explained.
Juliane Zeidler, Chair of the IUCN Commission and member of the jury, added: “These were great ideas by some applicants and I think some of the proposed campaigns will be able to influence many people particularly those who have access to technologies and means of communication.”
The seven winners of the Powered by Nature award will be invited to an award workshop in the Netherlands, during which they will refine, implement and integrate the best aspects of their ideas into a joint campaign, to be launched on 29 August 2013.
List of Winners – Powered by Nature
- Amy Gallagher, University of the Arts London, United Kingdom with a campaign idea on seasonal eating
- Christina Franc, Carleton University, Canada with a campaign idea for a mobile app to track energy use
- Enikő Tóth, Eötvös Loránd University, Hungary with a campaign idea to make campus life sustainably cool
- Laura Vanweydeveld, London College of Communication, United Kingdom with a campaign idea for a video to empower urban sustainability
- Kanahaya Alam, Queen Mary’s, University of London, United Kingdom with a campaign idea to market solar-powered chargers
- Rita Anna Bernáth, Budapest Corvinus University, Hungary with a campaign idea to make solar energy more attractive
The ‘Powered by Nature’ award is a joint project of the IUCN Commission on Education and Communication and Alcoa Foundation, supported by IUCN European Union Representative Office.