BIOPAMA: capacity building to fight “paper parks”
BIOPAMA (Biodiversity and Protected Areas Management) is IUCN’s landmark programme to improve management capacity for effective protected areas management.
IUCN has just signed a 9.5 million Euro contract with the European Commission to implement BIOPAMA in the African, Caribbean and Pacific region (ACP). Whilst the project is oriented to ACP countries it will have a main focus on Africa, with 60% of the overall funding targeting this region and the remaining 40% equally divided between the Pacific and the Caribbean.
The project’s main objective is to improve long-term conservation of biodiversity in ACP regions and reduce the poverty of populations surrounding protected areas.
IUCN will lead the establishment of regional observatories as platforms for data and information exchange and the implementation of capacity building programmes, and will provide technical and policy support to national and regional organizations. The Joint Research Centre (JRC), a partner in the project, will develop a reference information system on ecosystems and protected areas, facilitating the exchange of scientific data to support better decision and policy making. The key pillar of BIOPAMA is capacity development.
Complementary to this the programme will use ProtectedPlanet for enhanced networking of experts and institutions.
IUCN will work on this programme with two major partners: the JRC and the German Society for International Cooperation (GIZ). The project will involve five IUCN Regional Offices (Europe, East and Southern Africa, Central and West Africa, Mesoamerica and the Caribbean Programme, and Oceania), as well as two Commissions, the World Commission on Protected Areas and the Species Survival Commission.
IUCN is grateful to the European Commission for the support to this action which will ensure better biodiversity conservation and strengthened capacity for protected areas in ACP countries.