Implementation of the Ktsia-Tabatskuri Management Plan
The implementation of the Management Plan developed for the Ktsia-Tabatskuri Managed Reserve (KTMR, IUCN Category 4) is an important step toward the sustainable use of natural resources within the Reserve and its development for nature tourism.
In a first stage IUCN POSC on behalf of IUCN ROfE, together with its partner organisations, and in close collaboration with all relevant stakeholders and local community developed the management plan for Ksia-Tabatskuri Managed Reserve. The management plan focuses on the conservation of the unique lake, wetland and alpine habitats of Ktsia-Tabatskuri and addresses the sustainable and equitable use of rangelands within the area. IUCN POSC continues to implement some of the key activities identified under the KTMR Management Plan.
1. Graze management study, specifying potential grazing areas and developing livestock carrying capacity
2. Census of migratory water birds, breeding wetland and upland birds, based on which conservation action plans for most threatened species are developed
3. Development of administrative infrastructure, including establishment of an administration building and boat harbour at the lake, installation of border marks and purchase of necessary equipments and materials for rangers
4. Tourism infrastructure development, including tourist trails, information boards, orientation marks, picnic area
5. Education and communication, including development of materials for local school students, promotion of KTMR as a potential visit site at schools of Georgia, and production of Georgian-English language presentation brochure for visitors
Donor: BP/BTC Environmental Investment Programme
Project Partners: Ministry of Environment Protection and Natural Resources of Georgia (beneficiary), Georgian Center for the Conservation of Wildlife, Dzelkva and Gamma consultans
Project Duration: June 2009 - March 2010.
Contact Person: Ekaterine Kakabadze