Vote for the European Tree of the Year 2013 on www.treeoftheyear.org – there are only few days left! Trees from Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Ireland, Hungary, Poland and Slovakia take part in this year's contest with their stories.
Unlike other contests, the age, beauty and height of the tree are not the most important features in the European Tree of the Year award. What matters most is the story that trees hold and their link with community leaving around them.
The aim of the European Tree of the Year contest is to increase awareness of European trees and the historical and natural heritage which they represent.
Who is currently the winner? More info on www.treeoftheyear.org – data as of 14 February 2013:
- 1st place – Plane Tree in Kozy, Poland
- 2nd place – Plane tree in Eger, Hungary
- 3rd place – King Oak in Tullamore, Ireland
- 4th place – The Mulberry and Walnut trees of Glushnik, Bulgaria
- 5th place – Lime Tree in the Nové Dvory Alley, Czech Republic
- 6th place – Plane Tree from Komjatice, Slovakia
The voting will end on 28 February and the contest organizer, Czech Environmental Partnership Foundation, will reveal the results on the 1st March. The trees will be awarded in a ceremony in Brussels in June. IUCN supports the contest and award ceremony.