IUCN evaluates all natural sites aspiring to achieve World Heritage status
World Heritage status is one of the highest international recognitions on the planet. As such, every site inscribed on the UNESCO World Heritage List is carefully selected following a rigorous process. IUCN evaluates all candidate sites nominated to the World Heritage List for their natural values, including sites known as 'mixed' that have both natural and cultural values.
The evaluation of nominations is a year-long process involving IUCN's large network of experts. To ensure the credibility of the World Heritage List, it assesses the global significance, management, and integrity of the nominated sites.
IUCN's evaluations combine field missions, desk reviews and voluntary input by experts with knowledge of the sites or the natural values they represent. All the information collected is reviewed by IUCN's World Heritage Panel to form IUCN's recommendations to the World Heritage Committee.
If you would like to undertake a desk review or provide input for a particular World Heritage site nomination as an expert reviewer, please click here.
A country signs the World Heritage Convention
Proposed nominations for 2017
For the 2016-2017 cycle, IUCN is evaluating the nominations below to make recommendations to the World Heritage Committee, which will take the final decisions at its annual meeting in July.
- Albania, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Italy, Romania, Slovenia, Spain, Ukraine, Primeval Beech Forests of the Carpathians and Other Regions of Europe (extension)
- Argentina, Los Alerces National Park
- Benin, Burkina Faso, Complexe W-Arly-Pendjari (extension)
- China, Qinghai Hoh Xil
- Ghana, Mole National Park
- India, Bhitarkanika Conservation Area
- Mexico, Tehuacán-Cuicatlán Valley: originary habitat of Mesoamerica (mixed site)
- Mongolia, Russian Federation, Landscapes of Dauria (referred in 2015)
- Withdrawn by the State Party: Italy, Sila National Park
Proposed minor boundary modifications:
- China, Mount Wuyi
- India, Manas Wildlife Sanctuary
- India, Western Ghats